The Grand Hotel was converted from a derelict flophouse into affordable living units in 1982, which saved this 1915 Frank Clark designed structure from the wrecking ball. Unfortunately, the renovating owners undertook no routine or preventative maintenance in the ensuing years. Enter the Housing Authority of Jackson County (HAJC) which bought the building in 2009 and undertook a deferred maintenance project that included new apartment windows, new mechanical systems with sophisticated controls, new lighting and plumbing fixtures and a restoration of the former lobby with new storefront, new exterior awnings and new interior paneling. All exterior work had to be approved by the Medford Landmarks Commission, as well as the Oregon Historic Preservation Office and the HPLO, which owned an easement on the building exterior. The new systems have extended the life of a Medford landmark and provided significant energy savings to the HAJC. Funding for the project was made possible through a combination of loans and grants from agency, city, state and federal sources.